Sunday, July 22, 2012

My little Garden

I do not have a green thumb but I still wanted a garden. This year Matt built me a planter box so I could have one! I tried to start my plants from seed, they were doing great until they met my 6 month old son. After Jason killed half of my little babies I killed the rest because I didn't transplant them when they were ready. I was sad but I knew they had plants at the Farmers Market so that is where we headed!

I started my garden with 1 tomato plant, 1 zucchini plant, 1 Brussels sprout, 1 jalapeno plant, 6 kale plants, 6 basil plants (2 lemon, 2 regular & 2 purple), 6 lettuce plants (ice burg and red leaf), 1 cauliflower plant and 1 cucumber. We later added potatoes and 1 cayenne pepper plant.

Here is a shot of when they were all planted 
6/21

One week later (6 days)!


As of today 7/22

My little jungle!!! 


So far we have harvested:
Basil 
(for BLT sandwiches, we added the basil to the mayo)
Kale
(for Juicing)
Today our first Zucchini
(we plan on making bread & chips)


Broccoli 

 Cauliflower

 Basil

 Parsley

 Potatoes

Some of our plants aren't doing so well *sad face* like our peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. We have tomatoes but they are refusing (as of now) to turn red. Our cucumbers are not receiving much sunlight due to the large Kale growing above them. The peppers... I am not sure what their problem is but I am guessing maybe it is not quite warm enough or they don't have enough room (one is potted the other is in the planter box). We started getting jalapenos but they stopped growing and started to turn black. 

Over all I am pretty happy with our little garden! It has been a good learning experience and is fun for Ava to be able to watch our food grow. We still have about a month left of our season (I think), hoping to harvest a lot more veggies!

Any tips/advice is welcome! 

P.s. I forgot to mention that we have traded Kale with 2 neighbors and in return received homemade blueberry muffins and homemade blueberry syrup! Yum!









No comments:

Post a Comment