Monday, July 16, 2012

A new adventure

... In Cloth Diapering!

That's right you heard me. It's out with the old, in this case disposable diapers and in with the new, Cloth Diapers (or actually very very old considering this is how babies have been diapered since the beginning of time!). I have wanted to use cloth diapers since before Ava was born but I thought they were too expensive... Now I know that is hilarious considering since little man has arrived we have been spending around $50 a month on diapers for two kids, you do the math on that one. I paid $104.00 for 20 cloth diapers, I know that sounds like a lot of money BUT cloth diapers last forever. If I take care of them I should be able to use them until Jason no longer needs them and have them for the next baby *wink wink*. I plan on eventually buying some more when I have a better idea of how many we are going to need.  So far 20 has been just fine especially considering Ava is only in the diapers for nap and bedtime.

Here they are!


Aren't they cute!?


I think these two might be my favorites.


Of course this is one that Ava asks to wear! She loves her cars.


Pre-washing the diapers 
I was told and I have read that all I need to wash our diapers is washing soda and occasionally vinegar. You can NOT use normal detergent for cloth diapers, I believe the soap will cause the diapers to become less absorbent... that, you do NOT want! 


Ava before nap time with you her "special underwear". 


So now that I have had the our new diapers for about a week I have gotten to know them a little better. I do a load at least once a day. The instructions for washing the diapers still overwhelms me a little. I am not sure if I am doing this part right. It sounds like I should be washing the diapers about 3 times on different cycles and different temps. I have been told that I will find what works for me but I would love to hear how those of you that use cloth diapers take care of them. 

What detergents do you use? How many times do you wash your diapers? What temps do you wash them at? Do you put them in the dryer? ...etc.

We have had some leakage issues, mainly at night. My friend Heather told me that they use disposable diapers at night to avoid leaks and cloth during the day, she also will use two inserts instead of one like I have been doing. Any tips/advice on how to avoid leaks? Do you think it could be the brand (alva) I have or maybe I am putting them on wrong? 

I was surprised to learn how many of friends are using cloth diapers on their kids! I know it is a great option, you keep disposable diapers out of the landfills, it's cheaper, better for your kids (less chemicals) and fun! 
Let me know why YOU like cloth diapering!






No comments:

Post a Comment